Thursday, March 4, 2010

I love my Crock Pot!

My parents gave me their hand-me-down Crock Pot about 5 years ago. It moved with me 2 times, collecting dust along the way. I finally decided to give it a whirl about 6 months ago and I realized immediately what I had been missing out on all these years!! I now have 2 and use them frequently.

Tonight I decided to fix one of Mike and my favorites – Mexican Chicken in the Crock Pot.

Ingredients:
~ Olive Oil
~ 1 onion, sliced thinly
~ 1 green bell pepper, sliced thinly
~ 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
~ Taco seasoning
~ Salt & Pepper
~ 1 can Rotel tomatoes

(This is for two people – add or subtract ingredients depending on how many you’re feeding)

Drizzle the bottom of the pot with olive oil, cover with sliced onion and bell pepper and season with salt & pepper. Coat the chicken breasts with taco seasoning and place on top of the raw veggies. Cover the chicken with a can of Rotel. Cook on Low for 3 hours. Shred the chicken with forks, mix all ingredients well, drain off excess liquid. (NOTE: The more chicken and veggies you cook, the longer it will need to crock in the pot).

We eat this chicken in what we call “burrito bowls”, although we fix them on plates. The typical “bowl” is piled high in this order: shredded lettuce, black beans, Mexican Chicken, grated cheese, salsa, sour cream, jalapenos, black olives.

I have made these several times when we’re entertaining up at the lake. It’s great because once you start the Crock, dinner is ready in a few hours and you don’t have to think about cooking while you’re entertaining.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment